Day Three - Drugs and Alcohol

Drugs and alcohol happens to be a current topic in one of my modules at university. I picked a great month to do this challenge. All the topics thus far have been so relevant to my life at the moment.

I think alcohol is a somewhat controversial subject in America, especially within the church. I feel a lot of American churches frown upon consumption of alcohol. Not all, but quite a few. Much of the Middle East calls alcohol harem - forbidden. Nonetheless it is permitted in some parts and locations. This had a strong influence in my views of alcohol. Alcohol was served at many social gatherings we attended. It was associated with celebration, and casually consumed in moderation, so I did not view it as a bad thing.

In other parts of the world, and even at a different party back home, alcohol may not be present in such a way. Perhaps it is being consumed in mass quantities, causing partakers to be drunk and sick. For these reasons, I can see why people shun alcohol. But I don't see any harm in having a glass of wine at dinner, or toasting with champagne at a party.

Recreational drugs is a whole other topic. I will say I do believe drug addiction is an illness. No one chooses to have a drug addiction. Through a series of genetic predisposition, and other environmental factors, drug addiction is formed. Yes, initially a person makes a poor decision to ingest a drug, but biologically it is very hard to resist doing it again. Psychological and physical dependence take control.

To help minimize the risk of a drug addiction, I think doctors need prescribe fewer medications to patients. There are some medications that are necessary for chronic conditions, but prescriptions should not always be a quick fix given to patients. Our family once had a physician that prescribed and recommended drugs for nearly every condition or illness we presented. While it was a quick solution to any illness we had, it just as soon landed us back in her office. That is parallel to our modern culture; fast, accessible and easy, but never satisfying.

It wasn't long before we became fed up with this approach and switched to physician's assistant for our primary care giver. The PA had a more holistic approach in treating her patients. Before ever prescribing medication, she would suggest a natural remedy or dietary change. Consequently, we rarely visited her office.

I think the common themes between the two substances is moderation and necessity. Additionally there is an element of self-control tied in as well. While certain medications may be necessary, it is important to note signs of overdose and dependency. As for alcohol, it is not a necessity, but consumed in moderation, there is no harm done.


No comments:

Post a Comment