Day One - Marriage Status: Single

Recently I have been filling out a lot of administrative forms. On almost all of them there has been a section titled, Marital Status, and preceding are the sub-categories; married, divorced, widowed or single. Those are the only options. There is no sub-category, not applicable. We must be one out of those four possibilities.

I fall under the category, single. I am content in this period of life. There were times I had my concerns. For awhile I wondered if I had the gift of singleness forever, as God had brought many single women (middle-aged and elderly) into my life over a period of two years. I thought it was a sign that I too was going to travel down the eternal road of singleness. I was not particularly bothered by the possibility. All of these women had incredible life experiences, serving overseas or pursuing additional studies. Now, I think He brought those women into my life to show how I can use the gift of singleness while preparing for marriage. 

But how do I know if God's plan is for me to be married? What about my desires for a family of my own? After all, one of my biggest and long-held dreams is to have twenty kids (seriously). I thought surely that means I am to get married someday. Overtime that perception changed, and I realized having twenty kids does not always require a husband. In this context, I am speaking of caring for children in an orphanage, clinic, college, boarding school or another residential center for kids. Who knows, maybe that experience will come as a part of preparations for marriage.

Preparing for marriage is a long, ongoing process. It is a subject that has been a major theme in my life since I left high school. I prayed (and still do) for God to send me the right man. Then just seven months ago my grandma asked if she could pray for me to find a good husband. I said yes, of course. My brother and my parents started praying the same prayer also. Praying for a good husband is the key to preparing for marriage, but I must also make sure it can fit in the lock. To me this is an essential part of being single. While praying for my future husband, I must also pray that I will become the one for him.

Interestingly enough this post leads into tomorrows topic; Where I See Myself in Ten years. 





No comments:

Post a Comment