Day Eight - Contentment

A time when you felt most satisfied with your life. 

Belfast 2012. I had two weeks leave from my job and that was the only destination I had in mind. We had been apart for far too long. Months of being apart from my newfound best friends, made our reunion so sweet. All I longed became a reality once again.

The six hour flight was torturous. Not in length, but with overwhelming excitement. With every passing hour and mile, I was closer to being embraced by stimulating green, gorgeous rain, and the intoxicating aroma only inhaled in Ireland. Finally my feet were grounded in Dublin. The two and a half hour bus ride into the north, built more anticipation. Green fields, foliage, villages and time passed by in an almost chimerical way. The bus parked at Great Victoria street station. I smiled uncontrollably. This station was so familiar, filled with many memories. The Irish girl seated in front of me turned around to ask me for directions. I responded with such ease, it made me feel a deep connection with the city.

The trains bound in the direction of the college, were delayed. I tried to remain content just being in Belfast once again, but I was ready to see my friends. It wasn't long at all before I finally arrived at the hostel. My old home! Still the same, but with many new faces inhabiting it. The new students were happy to meet me, but remained sensitive to the little reunion happening in the lounge.

Curled up in my favourite red sofa, surrounded by some of my closest friends, I felt incredibly content. In just a matter of minutes we were talking, joking and laughing like we used to. Everything felt so right in that moment. A sense of belonging. A sense of happiness. Those few weeks, I had everything and wanted nothing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment