Verisimilitude

When I tell people that I work in a library, the responses and assumptions people have always amuse me. Below I have put together a hogepodge of Google images to reveal the reality (verisimilitude) of my work, as well as depict what I do not do.

True, I do shelve the books, but not for the entire eight hour work day.





"Oh you must love to read!"
"No, actually I loathe reading."




Contrary to what the professors/teachers think, I do not sit at a desk all day staring at the wall.




"But you are to young to be a librarian!"
"I'm not the librarian. I am the library assistant."


"Do you want to become a librarian someday?"
"No. Never ever, not in a million years. This was the job God provided for me and I am incredibly grateful to have it. Library Science or anything technology related, I have no interest in pursuing. When the semester ends, I am moving on to complete my nursing degree."

                  


Between intervals of shelving and checking out books, I am working in Excel, Millenium Database, LibraryThing Cataloging, taking inventory, helping students to make photocopies, assisting students with English langauge, creating displays, trouble shooting technical failures, Emailing teachers/proffessors, answering and making phone calls. I also prepare lessons for a very sweet GSCE student whom I mentor once a week in the library. And when there's nothing to do...I study for the CLEP exams.

                 



Overall my job is a great experience, it provides me with endless stories of Emirati culture as well as financial freedoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment