Indeed it has been long since I last posted. I had a lovely summer. After I finished exams and packed up my apartment, I traveled down the road to stay with a friend for a few days. I could have left for good immediately after my final exam, but at the last minute I decided I wanted to spend a few more days with my church family. They really took care of me through hospitality, friendship and spiritual growth. A few more days with them enabled me to have closure about the possibility of leaving them the following year.
After saying my goodbyes, I left to for my Kansas "home". I happily entertained myself for a week and a half by unpacking, renting movies, going for long walks, and cooking. Then it came time to make the two day journey to the only place I still consider my true home. It was so nice to be where everything is most familiar to me. I spent nearly ten days there eating, doing and shopping for all things I missed in the months I had been gone. This included sushi, biryani, shwarma, incense, oils, rose water, and henna.
Eventually it came time to leave again. I packed only what was necessary into a purple carry on. Before I was good at master packing and strictly following weight regulations, but this time I must say it was the ultimate packing job. I think I passed my doctorate exam in packing this time. Then I was off. Flying away to say more farewells, I couldn't help but think that for most of the flight. In the weeks ahead were a wedding and a graduation, then indefinite goodbyes.
I arrived to gray skies, mild temperatures and overwhelming, vibrant green foliage everywhere. I dashed off to catch the next train. Oh how I missed the ineffable freedom of trains! I stayed with a friend for a few days, before we both traveled together to Belfast. When we arrived, it was drizzling, as could be anticipated to happen daily during any season in Northern Ireland. The first time I arrived in Belfast and every time after, I am always awe struck by the beauty of the land. Everything looks as though it were illustrated in the pages of a fairytale. And the aroma. Irish air has a particular scent to me, one I can not explain, nor have I ever smelled anything like it before.
At last we arrived in the little town that once felt like home to me. It still did. We were greeted by friends old and new. Time passed by in parts. There was fun, food and fellowship. In the last few days, everything was in fast forward. It was happening to quickly to process. All I wanted to do was hit pause, and stay in the moment a little longer. In one day I watched yet another friend say her vows, and later I cheered for my friends as they walked across the stage to receive their diplomas.
After saying my goodbyes, I left to for my Kansas "home". I happily entertained myself for a week and a half by unpacking, renting movies, going for long walks, and cooking. Then it came time to make the two day journey to the only place I still consider my true home. It was so nice to be where everything is most familiar to me. I spent nearly ten days there eating, doing and shopping for all things I missed in the months I had been gone. This included sushi, biryani, shwarma, incense, oils, rose water, and henna.
Eventually it came time to leave again. I packed only what was necessary into a purple carry on. Before I was good at master packing and strictly following weight regulations, but this time I must say it was the ultimate packing job. I think I passed my doctorate exam in packing this time. Then I was off. Flying away to say more farewells, I couldn't help but think that for most of the flight. In the weeks ahead were a wedding and a graduation, then indefinite goodbyes.
I arrived to gray skies, mild temperatures and overwhelming, vibrant green foliage everywhere. I dashed off to catch the next train. Oh how I missed the ineffable freedom of trains! I stayed with a friend for a few days, before we both traveled together to Belfast. When we arrived, it was drizzling, as could be anticipated to happen daily during any season in Northern Ireland. The first time I arrived in Belfast and every time after, I am always awe struck by the beauty of the land. Everything looks as though it were illustrated in the pages of a fairytale. And the aroma. Irish air has a particular scent to me, one I can not explain, nor have I ever smelled anything like it before.
At last we arrived in the little town that once felt like home to me. It still did. We were greeted by friends old and new. Time passed by in parts. There was fun, food and fellowship. In the last few days, everything was in fast forward. It was happening to quickly to process. All I wanted to do was hit pause, and stay in the moment a little longer. In one day I watched yet another friend say her vows, and later I cheered for my friends as they walked across the stage to receive their diplomas.
After one last trip to the North Coast, I said farewell to my dear Northern Ireland, not knowing when or if we should ever see one another again.


No comments:
Post a Comment